The Allied Health team works collaboratively with leadership, teaching and support staff to create a positive and happy environment to engage, inspire and encourage our students in their learning and support them to optimise their school experience. Our team comprises of an Occupational Therapist and two part-time Speech Pathologists.
The Occupational Therapist and Speech Pathologists work consultatively throughout the school, working in classrooms and on a referral and priority needs basis. They provide recommendations in consultation with classroom staff to address areas of concern including:
- sensory processing and sensory integration: Managing student sensory processing within the school environment
- supporting students’ communication needs. At Ascot Vale Special School this is supported through the use of Alternative and Augmentative Communication devices. Our choice of device is the AVAZ APP. This APP is an electronic version of picture exchange cards.
- support with development of literacy, play and social skills.
- perceptual motor/ gross motor: the acquisition of large-scale movements such as walking, running, jumping, climbing, swimming.
- age appropriate social skill development and activities
- activities of daily living: such as dressing, toileting, eating